- 14-Ago-2007: First english version
In this page
What are C / C++ / C#?
C is a general purpose computer programming language, widely used. There are C compilers for lots of operating systems, and the syntax of many other programming languages is based on C.
C++ is an evolution of C, which allows Object Oriented Programming.
C# is an evolution of C++, proposed by Microsoft as an alternative to Java.
Tutorials on C / C++ / C#C Tutorials:
- You can find tutorial a paginated C tutorial which assumes a few knowledge on programming at www.oopweb.com/CPP/Documents/CProgramming.
- A complete C tutorial can reached at the University of Leicester.
- An interesting C tutorial in only one page, aimed at first C implementations and created by Brian W. Kernighan can be found at www.lysator.liu.se/c/bwk-tutor.html.
- My C Tutorial (in Spanish) can be accessed in my site.
- There is an interesting tutorial at www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial.
- You can find another step by step tutorial at cplus.about.com.
- To learn about specific subjects, you can have a look at cppreference.com.
- The book"Thinking in C++", by Bruce Eckel, has an electronic version available at http://www.bruceeckel.com.
- The FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) compilated by Bjarne Stroustrup are available at www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html
- There is a lot of information available at C#Help.
C / C++ / C# compilers
For Windows, C & C++:
- MinGW is a C & C++ compiler based on GNU's (GCC), ported to Windows. It can be downloaded at www.mingw.org. In this site, it may be difficult to find exactly what to download, so an alternative might be a ready-to-use environment, such as these three:
- Dev-C++ is a development environment for Windows, made by Bloodshed, which can be downloaded on its own or integrated with compiler MinGW (GCC 3.4.2), in a ready-to-use pack. Latest version is 22.214.171.124, dated february 2005.
- CodeBlocks is another development environment for Windows, also available alone or including MinGW (GCC 3.4.4). Latest version is 1.0rc2, dated october 2005.
- Another environment: MinGW Developer Studio. Latest version is 2.05, dated april 2005 (con GCC 3.4.2).
- Watcom C++ has been for a long time one of the most extender commercial compilers, used (for example) in the development of most games in the first 90s, such as Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. Now it is "Open Source". You can download documentation and compiler at www.openwatcom.com (version 1.7 RC1 available in july 2007),
- Borland C++ 5.5 has also a freely distributable version, which does not include integrated environment, only the command-line compiler, dated August 2000. Basic use instructions are available at community.borland.com/article/0,1410,20997,00.html
- Digital Mars is a C & C++ compiler for Dos and Windows, freely distributable, created by Walter Bright (author of Symantec C++), which includes no IDE in its free version. Release 8.50 available since September 2006.
- LCC-Win32. Is a free C compiler for Windows.
- The "Express" version of Visual C++ 2005 can be freely downloaded from Microsoft site, in msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/download/.
- Cygwin is not only a compiler, but the port to Windows of a series of Uniz tools.
- The "Express" version of Visual C# 2005 can be freely downloaded from Microsoft site, in msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/ visualcsharp/download/.
- The MONO project proyecto MONO is a freely distributable C# compiler.
- You can also have a look to Sharp Develop.
- Turbo C++ and Borland C++ were created by Borland, and are now discontinued. The current version is "C++ Builder", a visual compiler for Windows.
- Turbo C 2.01 can now be freely downloaded from Borland site.
- Turbo C++ 1.01 can now be freely downloaded from Borland site.
- DJGPP is a good 32 bits free compiler for Dos (and text mode Windows), based on GCC and adapted by DJ Delorie.
- GCC compiler should be available in almost any Linux distribution.
- If you want a development environment, KDevelop is part of KDE desktop, and Anjuta is for Gnome, and its site is anjuta.sourceforge.net. A smaller environment, adequate for small programs is Geany.
C / C++ / C# sources
- (None available yet)
Visual programming libraries
Textmode programs are clearly misused, all current programs have graphical user interfaces. There are many libraries which allow the creation and use of such interfaces in our programs. Many of them exist for different operating systems, as Windows, Linux and MacOs X, and this permits the creation of portable programs easily. It is also frequent to have a visual editor, which assists in the creation if the visible part of the application.
Probably, the better known libraries of this kind are:
- QT, by Trolltech, which has a commercial version but also a Open Source one. Includes a visual editor called QT Designer.
- Gtkmm (C++ based) andGtk+ (C based), was created to be used while developing the Graphics Imagen Manipulation Program called"The Gimp". Its visual editor is Glade.
- A third interesting alternative is WxWidgets, used in applicantions such as the audio editor Audacity or as SciTech Display Doctor. WxDev is a improved version of the Dev-C++ environment, created to develop aplications using WxWidgets, and it includes the libraries, the compiler, the editor and the forms designer.
Fuentes en C, C++, C#
- (None available yet)
Other links on C / C++ / C#
- Bruce Eckel site. The author of books such as "Thinking in C++" and "Thinking in Java", whose electronic versions are available, as well as the examples in the books. There is also a "Thinking in C", in flas animation format. All of it at http://www.bruceeckel.com
- HelpPC is a very complete reference on Pc Hardware, C Language, Assembly, interrupts and MsDos. It is compressed in a 275 KB Zip file.
- XNA is a set of tools created by Microsoft to allow the easy creation of games for Windows and Xbox. I did not like it (if you understand Spanish, you can read the reasons in my blog), but it might be interesting for people who have powerful computers. You can read more details in es msdn2.microsoft.com/es-es/xna
Changes in this page